If you are looking for an easy to host Christmas party theme this could be exactly what you are looking for. Welcome to our guide on how to throw a murder mystery Christmas party.
How to Throw a Murder Mystery Christmas Party – The Ultimate Guide
The truly great thing if you throw a Murder Mystery Christmas party is that it is so easy to arrange. The hardest part about this Christmas party theme is arranging the murder mystery games.
What is a Murder Mystery Christmas Party
A murder mystery Christmas party is a themed Christmas party centered around characters attempting to solve a fictional murder mystery.
Murder Mystery Christmas Party Decorations
When you throw a murder mystery Christmas party there are two avenues of thought when it comes to party decorations. You can of course simply decorate the party venue with all the party decorations you would expect to find at any theme of Christmas party.
An alternative would be to add decorations which were in line with the murder mystery theme of this party. Here are some examples of how you could decorate for this theme of Christmas party.
- Create an interrogation room with a two-way mirror, table and chair, handcuffs, and single light
- Cover buffet tables with bloody tablecloths and fill glass bowls or vases with red candy to mimic blood
- Label rooms like “Forensics Lab”, “Evidence Room”, “Security Office”, “Police Line – Do Not Cross”
- Cover tables with autopsy-looking rubber body outlines and chalk outlines on the floor or walls
- Display fake evidence like daggers, body silhouettes, locked briefcases, ransacked gift boxes
- Project crime scene holograms on walls or space like chalk outlines or flashing police lights
- Arrange strings of yellow clue tape connecting furniture and entryways labeled “Crime Scene”
- Drape spider webs mixed with string lights on mantels, bannisters, chandeliers
- Play ominous background music like screeching violins or haunting organ songs
- Project silent black and white crime films onto walls, furniture, or even ceiling
- Display old newspapers with black-and-white mug shot photos of suspects
- Fill apothecary jars with questionable ingredients and biohazard labels
Pair normal Christmas decor like wreaths, trees, and stockings with creepy elements for the perfect murder mystery holiday atmosphere!
Murder Mystery Christmas Party Food
Planning clever and fun menu items is key for a spectacular murder mystery Christmas party does not have to be in any way difficult! Here are some thematic food ideas:
- “Poisoned” cheese fondue with menus listing antidotes
- Deviled eggs topped with hot sauce “blood” splatters
- Pepperoni “daggers” displayed stab-style into a meat/cheese platter
- Tomato basil bruschetta “blood” splatter crostini
- Roast beast with a knife prop sticking out
- “Stabbed” buffet ham with carrot and celery stick shards
- Twice-baked potatoes hollowed out with chili filling
- Lasagna layered out and labeled as “autopsy report”
- Bread rolls wrapped like mummies in cheddar cloth strips
- Green bean casserole with french-fried shoestring “skewers”
- Mac and cheese molded into chalk body outlines
- “Crime scene” salad with chalky powder white dressing drizzle
- Petit four “poisons” – brightly dyed and danger labeled
- Chocolate mousse “mud pie” with cookie crumb dirt
- Sugar cookies with red frosting blood splatters
- Cupcakes decorated like police cars or with police tape
- Witches brew mulled wine
- Poison apple martinis
- NON-alcoholic sparkling cider in potion bottles
- Crime scene Starbucks lattes
Get creative with food so it looks dangerous and deadly for lots of laughs!
Check out this range off Christmas party tableware by clicking here.
Murder Mystery Christmas Party Games
When you throw a murder mystery Christmas party the most important thing is the mruder mystery game that you and your guests will play. While you can most certainly develop and make your own version of a murder mystery game there is no need to. This is simply because there are now so many really cool, really enjoyable murder mystery games that you can buy and enjoy. These games come complete with all the clues and props that you will need for the game.
You can check out a huge range of murder mystery games by clicking here.
Murder Mystery Christmas Party Music
Here are some ideas for Murder Mystery Christmas Party Music:
- “Last Christmas” by Wham! – This upbeat, catchy tune is sure to get your guests in the holiday spirit.
- “All I Want for Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey – This classic Christmas song is a great choice for a murder mystery party, as it’s festive and fun.
- “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” by Brenda Lee – This song is a holiday staple and is sure to get your guests moving.
- “Jingle Bell Rock” by Bobby Helms – This fun, upbeat song is perfect for a murder mystery party, as it’s catchy and energetic.
- “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” by Andy Williams – This song has a great holiday vibe and is sure to set the mood for your party.
- “Feliz Navidad” by Jose Feliciano – This song is a fun, festive choice for a murder mystery party, as it’s upbeat and catchy.
- “Winter Wonderland” by Dean Martin – This classic holiday song is a great choice for a murder mystery party, as it’s smooth and sophisticated.
- “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” by Judy Garland – This song is a holiday classic and is sure to set the mood for your party.
- “Sleigh Ride” by The Ronettes – This fun, upbeat song is perfect for a murder mystery party, as it’s catchy and festive.
- “I’ll Be Home for Christmas” by Bing Crosby – This classic holiday song is a great choice for a murder mystery party, as it’s smooth and sophisticated.
- “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” by Band Aid – This song is a great choice for a murder mystery party, as it’s catchy and festive.
- “Fairytale of New York” by The Pogues featuring Kirsty MacColl – This song has a great holiday vibe and is sure to set the mood for your party.
- “Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays” by *NSYNC – This fun, upbeat song is perfect for a murder mystery party, as it’s catchy and energetic.
- “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas” by Bing Crosby – This classic holiday song is a great choice for a murder mystery party, as it’s smooth and sophisticated.
- “Santa Claus Is Coming to Town” by The Jackson 5 – This fun, upbeat song is perfect for a murder mystery party, as it’s catchy and festive.
These are just a few ideas for Murder Mystery Christmas Party Music. You can also consider including songs from popular holiday movies and TV shows, such as “All I Want for Christmas Is You” from Love Actually or “Santa Claus Is Coming to Town” from Home Alone. You can also include classic holiday songs by artists like Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, and Nat King Cole.
Your best option for music if you are to throw a Murder Mystery Christmas party is Amazon Music. You will never ever be without the perfect song at your fingertips for any party you throw. You can check out the best deals for Amazon Music by clicking here.
Murder Mystery Christmas Party Favors
Before we look at ideas for items you can use as Christmas party favors make sure you have a good supply of Christmas themed party favor bags. You can check them out and buy them here.
If you throw a murder mystery Christmas party you will undoubtedly want to say a big thank you to all your guests. Here are some ideas for things you could give your guests as party favors.
- Mini magnifying glasses – for searching for clues!
- Sugar cookies frosted like crime scenes
- Candy “murder weapons” – candy canes shaped like knives or pipettes filled red hots like vials of poison
- Detective kits in small boxes with a pad, pen, chalk, string, tiny flashlight
- Handcuff keyrings – for catching the criminal
- Lottery scratch cards – maybe the prize money was the motive!
- Mugs or glasses with blood spatter designs
- Mini journals tied in twine for writing down clues and evidence
- Votive candles labeled “Forensics Lab” or “Interrogation Room”
- Tiny fingerprint kits – dusting powder and fingerprint lift tabs
- Test tubes with rolled clue messages stuffed inside
- Pieces of “crime scene” tapes and signs as necklace pendants or bookmarks
- Small plastic bags labeled “Evidence” holding candy or cookies
- Fake mustaches – disguise your real identity!
Let guests take home fun reminders of your murder mystery party night with unique favors reflecting the theme.
What to Wear to a Murder Mystery Christmas Party
Here are some ideas for what to wear to a murder mystery Christmas party:
A festive holiday sweater or sweater dress – These are perfect for a holiday-themed murder mystery party and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
A cozy pair of pajamas or loungewear – If the party is a more casual affair, consider wearing a comfortable pair of pajamas or loungewear to stay warm and cozy while solving the mystery.
A Christmas-themed costume – Consider dressing up as a character from a favorite holiday movie or TV show, such as Santa Claus, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, or Clark Griswold from National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.
A formal outfit with a holiday twist – If the party is a more formal affair, consider wearing a suit or dress with a holiday-themed tie or scarf to add a touch of festivity to your outfit.
A vintage-inspired outfit – A 1920s or 1930s-inspired outfit can add a touch of classic glamour to your murder mystery party and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
A cozy winter coat or cardigan – If the party is taking place in a cold or outdoor location, consider wearing a warm and cozy winter coat or cardigan to stay warm while solving the mystery.
A pair of comfortable shoes – Murder mystery parties often involve a lot of walking and standing, so make sure to wear a pair of comfortable shoes that you can easily move around in.
A festive holiday hat – A holiday hat can add a touch of fun and festivity to your outfit and can be worn with a variety of different outfits.
A pair of gloves – If the party is taking place in a cold or outdoor location, consider wearing a pair of gloves to keep your hands warm while solving the mystery.
A festive holiday scarf – A holiday scarf can add a touch of festivity to your outfit and can be worn with a variety of different outfits.
Remember, the most important thing is to have fun and get into the holiday spirit! Dress in a way that makes you feel comfortable and festive, and you’ll be ready to solve the murder mystery and have a great time.
Check out more Christmas party ideas and guides here.